Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Bookish - Kakapo Dance

Kia ora koutou,

I am always on the look out for New Zealand authors and topics in books to give to friends, near and wide, when they have little ones.



I think books are a fantastic gift and in the early years board books are worth their weight in gold. Little people go through rather a grabby phase and it's so good to still be able to share books with them without the heartache of ripped pages.

Kakapo Dance by Helen Taylor is a great size for sharing with little ones and the pages are nice strong card which makes them durable and the pages turnable. My favourite part of the book are the illustrations which remind me just how beautiful our birds are. They are brimming with life and colour and movement.

As I read it I was reminded how many of our birds we call by their Māori (original) names. I would love it even more if all the names were the Māori ones, I think it's such a great way for us to work towards more recognition of the names that were already given.

A fun, onomatopoeic, read aloud book for little birds who need to know we all dance and sing our own way.

Details - Penguin Random House, May 2018 RRP $15.99 BB

love you more than a tui on a kowhai tree xxx