Thursday, September 7, 2017

Bookish - Black Marks on the White Page

Kia ora koutou,

I am always really excited to see New Zealand writers being published. I think there are many more hurdles for people from smaller countries to get their authentic voices heard in the world of books, which I imagine is really about how many sales can be generated and whether it is 'translatable' to other international cultures.

All that to say I was thrilled to receive a copy of Black Marks on the White Page which is a compilation of short stories edited by Witi Ihimaera and Tina Makereti.



I really enjoy reading short stories and I feel like a well written short story can be as complex, moving and demanding as a novel. As a writer I think the skill of being able to engage a person and take them on a journey in such a few words is really an amazing skill.

As with all compilations there are parts that appeal more than others and the book doesn't shy away from darker subjects so it would certainly be considered adult reading in terms of appropriateness. It was really good to be exposed to new writers whose work I haven't read before and I enjoy the fact that the variety of contributors means the book moves, sometimes dramatically, from one style to another.

This is a great compilation - there is true variety in the voices, styles and settings of each story. The book is also accompanied by some gorgeous art including the incredible cover.

I am a great believer in supporting the writing of our location in the world as well as enjoying authors from other places. We must support our writers and an emerging voice that gives deeper understanding, as well as delivering compelling writing, to the stories of those who are Indigenous Oceanic writers.

Details - Penguin Random House NZ, July 2017 RRP $40.00 HB

love you more than discovering a new author xxx