Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Pepernoot Coat by Waffle Patterns

Heya Stitchers,
Last year I was thrilled to win a pattern of my choice from Waffle Patterns and I had such a hard time choosing. In the end I went with the Peppernoot Hooded Coat
The thought of sticking so many pieces of paper together lead me to the local copy shop to get the copyshop sized version printed out – never going back! SO much better.
This pattern is absolutely not a quick sew. The patch pockets on the front utilise a ‘welt-style’ opening for the zips and just doing those two pockets with their zips, ironing down the seam allowance and top-stitching took me an hour! The coat is fully lined and I overlocked every seam as well. I went through a spool and a half of thread so that’s a good 150m of machine stitching. (Not including all the hand stitched hems or the overlocking).
mqrn65w
The pattern itself isn’t difficult per se, it’s more that there is a lot to do and a lot of extra features like the sleeve tabs, a separate panel down the hood, front and back yokes, concealed zippered front with tab, a lot of top-stitching and it is fully lined.
5yeiws2
Overall I think the instructions are good and there are heaps of diagrams for the more visual types. There were 2 parts in the pattern where I had to stop, re-read and then apply my own sewing knowledge and look to the next steps. Because of this, I’d say this is a pattern to attempt once you have a few makes under your belt and some personal confidence in your ability as a sewist.
yvqboum
I used some fabulous fabric from IKEA that I have had for a while. I also have a dress from this fabric– which I made for IPM in 2015. The contrast fabric, for the front and back yoke and strip on the hood, is a cotton sateen that I was given recently, I like the way it breaks up the intensity of the pattern. It is lined in a very lightweight peachy coloured cotton with a tiny polka dot. Keeping with my mission, this fabric is all from stash, although I did have to buy the zips.
The sleeve buttons are some vintage buttons I had in my stash. I love the slightly deco style of them with the curves.
cpaggwd
When I measured myself I think I came out as a size 46 (or maybe larger) but when I looked at the final measurements I decided to cut a 42. I felt a bit scared about it as I didn’t want to have a final garment that didn’t fit! I don’t tend to be someone that get very cold so I knew I didn’t need a coat with room for hundreds of layers underneath.
I am pleased with the final fit. I needed to shorten the sleeves slightly and the ‘waistline’ sits very high on me as well so if I were to do another version I may lengthen the bodice. (Being brutally honest though I can’t usually be bothered with altering patterns so I’ll probably just leave it as it is!). 😉
edzb4p9
I love this coat. Reading blogs, many sewists seem to start out making all ‘party, party‘ clothes and then work out they don’t really wear them and start to make more ‘wearable staples‘. As y'all know I live in the ‘party, party‘ style of dressing so this make is very reflective of my overall style.
Don’t bee fooled by the ‘black outfit’ I have on under this coat. It’s a top I bought from Zara about 13 years ago and a petticoat. I took off the dress I was wearing over said items (in the carpark after church no less!!!), so that you could get a decent feel for the coat. See how much I love you all?! 
cunm6si
pmdrss6
njtzxhx
May your top-stitching run straight, your size choice be accurate and your makes bring joy and workability to your wardrobe.
pomve0p
love you more than the sound of fancy fabric scissors cutting through fresh fabric xxx