Saturday, April 15, 2017

Bookish - Keep Me Safe

'Sup?

When I saw this title released and the blurb for the book I was quiet intrigued (and a little worried it might be super full on) so I requested it for reading.

The book is Keep Me Safe by Daniela Sacerdoti. The author is really interesting, having published ebooks for some time. She writes for adults, young adults and children. (Anyone tempted to use the theatre term - triple threat?!)



This was the first book of hers that I have read. The blurb starts with this statement - What do you do when your six-year-old daughter starts telling you about her other mother, her other life? Which I found interesting and also weird. I was hoping it wasn't going to turn into some terribly dark story. The main narrative ends up taking Anna and her daughter Ava from London to Seal (a tiny island in Scotland).

The writing has a very simple style which I found slightly disappointing initially but by the end I was really charmed by the whole story and the ways in which it played out on a lot of levels. The simplicity of style didn't translate into a simple story line. There where some lovely unexpected moments in it.

The story has supernatural themes but dealt with gently and naturally (if that's a thing).

I loved the slightly magical feel of the book and the setting was so beautiful - it made me want to visit Scotland again and especially the tiny islands. It also dealt with human dilemmas in ways that felt really authentic.

This was another one of those books I picked up and read and read until I came to the end.

Glad to have Daniela Sacerdoti on my list of 'will read her books' authors.

What books make you want to travel?

Details - Keep Me Safe by Daniela Sacerdoti Hachette NZ, April 2017 $29.99 also available as an ebook.

love you more than a raging sea from a safe distance xxxx