Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Authors You Need to Read

Lois Lowry is one of those authors that I find incredibly inspiring - how does someone come up with the concepts and then weave those worlds using only words??

Recently I've had her quartet on hold from the library. (They arrived out of order but I read them anyway. I couldn't wait!!) The Giver is the first in the series and I remember buying it and reading when I first started teaching. Then comes Gathering Blue, The Messenger and Son. All of these stand alone as powerful novels.


As they are YA literature they can be read easily in a day but they contain a great deal of substance.

Universal themes such as inclusiveness, the attitude we have towards disability, refugees and rules are presented but never in an obvious or preachy way.


Last night I saw that The Giver has now been made into a movie which is pretty exciting it has great potential, drama, mystery, intrigue but please, please read the book first.

And if you aren't familiar with Lois Lowry get down to your local library or bookstore and grab whatever has her name on it. Number the Stars and Gossamer are 2 other novels of hers that are well worth the read.


She is a 5 star writer in my books and these books are so beautifully written, so real and fantastical at the same time. Gathering Blue also features a 'gifted' stitcher as the main character - what's not to love about that?

The books are ones I would happily pass on to any reader of 12+, they are 'clean', engaging and fast moving.


Read them? What do you think?

love you more than a quartet all read and another addition to my 'must buy myself' list xxxx