Thursday, April 5, 2012

Make My Week #14 - Check Out My Buns

Well just when I thought I had no show and tell.... I remembered you might like to see my buns, oh hush now you know I am teasing!! :-)
I've just completed my 2nd round of Hot Cross Buns for the tasting.

We are having 11 children and 12 adults for an Easter Egg hunt and Hot Cross Buns over on Sunday morning before church (as you do!)

My original batch was the delightful Mrs Cake's recipe - renders 16 buns
and these ones are from Jo Seagar (click for the recipe) - renders 32 buns

As a bun lover The Atlas (who is definitely Hot! but hardly ever Cross) will make the final decision.

And just to keep it real - here's an Easter fail - homemade egg that cracks as you take it out of the mold? Not cool. However it still tastes okay - which leads me to another Easter fail - Lent without sugar?  Not so successful.

other creative types here

9 comments:

Max said...

nice buns miriam! my hubby loves hot x buns so i have to get my act together and have a bash myself x

Sophie Slim said...

Hehehe! To be fair lent without sugar would be VERY hard. Sugar is in almost everything!

Yum. Love hot cross buns! Will need to add some to the grocery list :)

Unknown said...

Yum! I LOVE Easter month of cross buns and chocolate. Off to toast one....

Notchka said...

Haha - you're a classic. Have a lovely Sunday :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I miss my oven and they don't HCBs here :-(

Florence said...

yum, hot cross buns. have you got a good recipe you would like to share with us? I know there are lots out there on the web, but it's so much better to follow a proven recipe with pictures like yours, they look so delicious.

Miriam said...

They are actually less work than you might think but the crosses give me grief!

Miriam said...

Warm butter on a toasted bun - yes please!

Miriam said...

Florence the recipe I used for these pics is the Jo Seagar one there is a link in the post. it's not too much work and you get a good quantity for your efforts!